Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 2003 02:28:54 -0600 (CST)
From:      Eduardo Viruena Silva <mrspock@esfm.ipn.mx>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   imap-uw and pam

Hello pals!

I have installed FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE and cvs-updated it to patch 7.
Everything ok.

Compiled imap-uw in the ports and it issued this message:

The ipop2d, ipop3d, and imapd daemons should be invoked by your
/etc/inetd.conf file with lines such as:

=============================
pop2    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/ipop2d   ipop2d
pop3    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/ipop3d   ipop3d
imap4   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/local/libexec/imapd    imapd

If PAM authentication support has been compiled in you will need to add
something like the following lines to /etc/pam.conf (PAM authentication is
default):

imap    auth    required        pam_unix.so
imap    account required        pam_unix.so
try_first_pass
imap    session required        pam_deny.so
pop3    auth    required        pam_unix.so
pop3    account required        pam_unix.so
try_first_pass
pop3    session required        pam_deny.so

The pam_unix module does not have session support, so we do not use it for
session management. Be sure to read up on pam.conf(5).
============================

I think this is a little out of date remark.  pam.conf is not used
in FreeBSD-5.0 any more.

I found /etc/pam.d  and the files   imap and pop3, although they
are all comments.

I thought to add the following lines to  /etc/pam.d/imap:

auth    required        pam_unix.so
account required        pam_unix.so  try_first_pass
session required        pam_deny.so

But I cannot make imap work, /var/log/auth.log displays a messages:

pr  4 02:25:45 Gina imapd[26615]: Login disabled user=mrspock auth=mrspock
host=dsl-200-67-206-37.prodigy.net.mx [200.67.206.37]

Then, I don't know what to do.

Could you please help me?

Thanks in advance.