Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 1999 17:47:26 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        "Bruce M. Walter" <walter@fortean.com>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.1/4.0, the alpha, and a dog named blue...

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Bruce M. Walter wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've been running FreeBSD on several alpha's now for about two months.
> I'm elated that I no longer have to kiss the arse of the Linux god to get
> useful CPU cycles out of these machines.  Thanks all for the hard work and
> a hearty job well-done the the alpha porters.
>
> I realized I may get flamed for asking something like this, but since I
> honestly don't know, I'm gonna ask:  Where should a person looking to
> get relatively stable (read -stable ;) performance from an alpha be?
>
> I know the answer may still be 'not on FreeBSD' at this point, but I've
> been very impressed with the stability of the last few snaps.  I'm really
> wondering whether new bug-fixes/enhancements/functionality in the alpha
> stuff is finding it's way back into the -stable branch, as all of the
> latest snap's are from -current which has had some ffs/vm related problems
> of late.
>
> If it's just a matter of taking the last 3.x alpha snap and tracking
> -stable via CVS that's fine, it's just not apparent that that's the "Right
> Thing to Do" (tm).
>
> Cheers all and thanks for the guidance!

I think you ought to be fine on the stable branch.  Relavent changes to
current are being merged across all the time and the alpha specific parts
will be no different.  In fact there should be very little difference
between 3.1 and 4.0 for the alpha specific code (4.0 uses the new syscons
and I expect to merge that into 3.1 in due course).

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com