Date:      Fri, 05 May 2006 08:12:45 -0500
From:      Greg Barniskis <nalists@scls.lib.wi.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.1 install problems with creating partitions

Eric Dan wrote:
> update:
> I actually backed up the ext3 to another hard drive and got rid of all
> partitions and slices on that drive.
> installer still can't do it.
> the exact error says:
> "unable to make new root file system on ad3sa1"
> then i hit return and it says:
> "couldn't make file system properly"
>
> any ideas?
>

> * Eric Dan (ericdan@ucla.edu) wrote:
>> trying to install 6.1 on my secondary master partition or slice 2.
>> I come from linux so please be forgiving with the naming or slices and
>> partitions.
>> i created a 40G slice on ad3 with fdisk, then with disklabel i created a
>> 4g /	a 512M swap	and the rest for /home
>> i used the "S" option on the "/" partition.

You may need to drop some more assumptions that you are bringing
from the Linux world -- you seem to be trying to manually impose
"the Linux way" of dividing up the space, but that is really not
what a typical FreeBSD partition/slice scheme looks like.

As long as you have essentially wiped the drive already, you can use
the FreeBSD installer's "Auto Defaults" option to get a look at what
the installer is expecting you to do, and then tune that as desired.
On the FDISK screen, press A to use the whole disk, then on the
Disklabel screen press A again for Auto Defaults.

Or, have a closer look at the handbook for more details,
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/install-steps.html
(esp. figure 2-22)

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)