Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 2008 00:56:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jisakiel <jisakiel@yahoo.es>
To:        Andreas Davour <ante@Update.UU.SE>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Journaling filesystem support in FreeBSD

----- Mensaje original ----=0A=0ADe: Andreas Davour <ante@Update.UU.SE>=0AP=
ara: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org=0AEnviado: domingo, 7 de septiembre, 200=
8 2:23:50=0AAsunto: Journaling filesystem support in FreeBSD=0A=0A=0AI know=
 about soft updates and background fsck, but while they make the =0Asystem =
available quickly they also generate quite a lot of I/O activity =0Aa short=
 while after the system have booted and when I want to log in and =0Astart =
all my stuff, I/O intensive as well.=0A=0AThe support for NTFS seems to be =
limited to reading still and the other =0Afilesystem support i have on my s=
ystem (6.2) don't seem to show much of =0Aan alternative if you want a jour=
naling filesystem, which are supposed =0Ato limit the need for fsck.=0A=0AS=
o, what are the alternatives? Can I run xfs on FreeBSD? Is it zfs on 7 =0At=
hat I need? I have tried tfm and google and not found anything useful.=0A=
=0A/Andreas=0A=0A=0A-- =0AA: Because it fouls the order in which people nor=
mally read text.=0AQ: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?=0AA: Top-posting=
.=0AQ: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?=0A=0A------=
--------------------=0A=0A=0AI believe ntfs has full writing support (no fs=
ck / chkdsk though)=0Avia the ntfs-3g project (http://www.ntfs-3g.org/ ), w=
hich uses the fuse=0Adriver. I wouldn't install my system over it though, a=
lthough I've seen=0Aubuntu run pretty well via Wubi on that conditions. =0A=
=0Azfs is not supposed to need fsck at all, but doesn't seem suitable for=
=0Aproduction use yet  ( http://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSKnownProblems ; also,=
=0Abooting from ZFS is not still fully supported - you have to boot to a=0A=
UFS partition, then "chainload" into the ZFS root ). =0A=0AI'd guess your b=
est bet for a production machine is still UFS... =0A=0A=0A(BTW, got the poi=