Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2018 02:51:49 -0600
From:      Scott Bennett <bennett@sdf.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
Subject:   Re: why does buildworld fail on stable/11 ?

     I wrote:
>     On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 12:42:58 +0000 lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:
>>On 22/01/2018 09:17, Scott Bennett wrote:
>>>     Anyway, I'm stuck.  Can someone please tell me what is going wrong and
>>> how to fix it?  I'd really like to be able to update my system, not only to
>>> keep it reasonably current, but also to be able to customize a kernel.  Thanks
>>> in advance for any suggestions/solutions.

     [much deleted  --SB]
>>then
>>
>>[/usr/src #] make cleandir && make clean && make buildworld && make
>>buildkernel && make installkernel && mergemaster -p
>
>     At this point, that looks very optimistic, to say the least. :-)  I've
>tried "make cleanworld" (with /etc/make.conf still in place), and it failed
>exactly like the buildworld example I posted before.

     Okay.  Here's what happened.

Script started on Wed Jan 24 02:17:30 2018
hellas#	mv /etc/make.conf{,.save}
hellas#	mv /etc/src.conf{,.save}
hellas#	cd /usr/src
hellas#	make cleandir
"/usr/src/share/mk/local.sys.mk", line 51: Malformed conditional (${.MAKE.MODE:Mmeta*} != "")
"/usr/src/share/mk/local.sys.mk", line 58: Malformed conditional (${.MAKE.MODE:Mnofilemon} == "")
"/usr/src/share/mk/local.sys.mk", line 76: if-less else
"/usr/src/share/mk/local.sys.mk", line 79: if-less endif
"/usr/src/share/mk/sys.mk", line 476: if-less endif
bmake: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/src
hellas#	exit
exit

Script done on Wed Jan 24 02:19:04 2018

     Does anyone have any idea what is so horribly broken in 11.1-STABLE?
FWIW, this is on a ZFS installation done by the utterly braindead bsdinstall
provided in stable/11 ISO images.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
* Internet:   bennett at sdf.org   *xor*   bennett at freeshell.org  *