Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 15:32:13 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
Cc:        Walter Spierings <Walter@holoprint.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XDM allows no keybord-input ?

"Jason C. Wells" wrote:

> fOn Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Walter Spierings wrote:
>
> > After re-installing FreeBSD 4.0 (because I had some library problems), I
> > add the line:
> >
> >       DisplayManager._0.authName:     MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1
> >
> > to my xdm-config file. To allow X logins for users but root. This after
> > reading it in one of this e-mail (18 Apr. 2000). Now when I login as root
> > and than startx XDM there is no problem. But when I put XDM in the rc.local
> > file to start it automatically, (following the book, 3rd edition) it just
> > seems to ignore the keyboard, even Ctrl-Alt-F1..8 for a new non grafic
> > login is't possible. The system still works, NFS shares and Samba are still
> > hot, but my only choice is to remote login and reboot.
>
> I believe this is in the FAQ somewhere.
>
> It has been a long time since I ran X. IIRC, you have to tell rc.local to
> 'sleep' for a few seconds as there is some conflict for the console going
> on at boot time. Check in the FAQ to be sure.

Alternatively, you may wire your X to a specific console, which must be
switched off in /etc/ttys. I cannot provide the exact syntax how to do
this out of the top of my head...

HTH
-Christoph Sold

--
i-clue GmbH, Endersbacher Str. 57, D-71334 Waiblingen
Fon: (0 71 51) 9 59 01-12,  Fax: (0 71 51) 9 59 01-55