Date:      Thu, 02 May 2002 11:22:34 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        tornadox@telnor.net
Cc:        "Brian T.Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mouse code kernel

jehova wrote:
> El Jue 02 May 2002 05:12, escribió:
>
>>On Tuesday 30 April 2002 05:59 pm, jehova wrote:
>>| thanks for re:
>>| sorry for my english, i'm trying.
>>|
>>| when i draw a box (rectangle tool on gimp), if i do it quite
>>| slowly, i start my draw on place where i click and drag mouse
>>| pointer works fine. But if click and drag for draw a box
>>| faster my box is draw  away  from the place where it supose
>>| to be, something like one  inch (depends on speed: faster
>>| more desplaced, slower draw near. if i want select a text
>>| (for example for  cut and paste), slow or medium velocity
>>| works well, but if i speed up: start selection 2,3 4 or 6
>>| characters later. this behavior happens with with TWM, KDE
>>| and XFCE and with every drawing program i've been tried
>>| (gimp, xpaint or whatever).
>>|
>>| i've been discard Xfree because versions 3.3.6, 4.1 and 4.2
>>| do same on freebsd 4.4 and 4.5. nothing of this happen on
>>| linux this is why i think maybe is a kernel related issue.
>>
>>If you are running X anyway, then the simplest solution is
>>probably just to bypass the kernel mouse code entirely.
>>
>>Just change the mouse in your XF86Config from /dev/mouse to
>>dev//psm0 (for a PS/2 mouse, the most likely choice) or
>>whatever your real underlying mouse device is and restart X.
>>
>>Then you won't be using the the kernel-based "sysmouse" driver
>>at all, just X mouse support.
>
> i have 'moused' enabled on console with  dev/psm0, then on
> XF86Config change device to dev/psm0, it did't work

That's because it's wrong.
If you use moused, your mouse device in X should be /dev/sysmouse
If you're not using moused, X can connect to /dev/psm0, but both
can't connect to /dev/psmo

> i need to add
> AllowMouseOpenFail to startx and neither works mouse. why change
> for bypass kernel mouse code device port? there are other ways
> to bypass?(!?)

Just disable moused and configure X to use /dev/psm0, or enable
moused and configure X to use /dev/sysmouse.
Other combinations probably won't work.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology