Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 1995 12:32:54 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   'talk' doesn't work!  Did it ever?

On my FreeBSD box at home, the 'talk' command has never worked to talk to
anyone over TCP/IP, but instead just hangs on "[Checking for invitation
on callers' machine]".  At first I chalked this up to a PPP
misconfiguration (since I have dynamic IP assignment, when I was using
Linux I had to manually change the hostname to "user??.lightside.com"
every time I logged in or else I would have the same problem).  But now I
just noticed my experimental FreeBSD Pentium at work, which is
Ethernetted, has the exact same problem!

The source code to talk looks pretty simple, I should be able to track
down the problem later today, and see if it's universal or a
misconfiguration on my part.  Also, my box at home is running
2.0.5-RELEASE but at work it's running "-current" so if there is a
problem, it hasn't been fixed yet.  Before I start tearing into the
source, does anyone have any ideas as to what's wrong?

---Jake Hamby
 jehamby@lightside.com