Date:      Fri, 14 Aug 2009 00:09:34 -0400
From:      "Alexandre \"Sunny\" Kovalenko" <gaijin.k@gmail.com>
To:        Christian Walther <cptsalek@gmail.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with IBM Thinkpad T30 shutting down due to high temperatures

On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 23:53 +0200, Christian Walther wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> for some time now my T30 shuts down due to temperatures exceeding the
> safe limit of 92 degrees celcius.
> Regardless to say that a 2GHz pentium4m powers the machine, and these
> chips are "well known" for high temperatures.
> But I'm unable to do anything that causes high load on the laptop:
> Building world or complex ports makes the system reach the limit
> within minutes. A few days ago I configured xcompmgr, which even seems
> to make the problem whorse (yes, composite extension is enabled).
> What I don't know is if this is a hardware error, or something caused
> by the kernel. I wrote a small script to monitor  dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan
> dev.acpi_ibm.0.fan_level, hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature and
> dev.cpu.0.freq, and it sometimes appears that the temperature of the
> CPU rises, but the kernel doesn't decrease the clock in time. I tried
> setting hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate=2, but this didn't seem to work
> out, too.

Your description is somewhat generic, so the best I can do under the
circumstances is to give you a generic suggestion.

Add something like

hw.acpi.thermal.tz1.passive_cooling=1
hw.acpi.thermal.user_override=1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz1._PSV=75C

to /etc/sysctl.conf and reboot.

Please, note that on my laptop, relevant thermal zone is TZ1, which
might or might not be the case for you -- if it is not -- change tz1 to
whatever is appropriate.

If this does not work, things, which are needed to help you further,
include:

1. output of uname -a
2. output of sysctl hw.acpi.thermal
3. output of sysctl dev.cpu
4. output of grep powerd /etc/rc.conf
5. output of sysctl dev.acpi_ibm

It would be good to have output of (#5) from several points under the
load.

Also, please, consider following advice on cleaning up dust and possibly
re-applying the thermal paste given elsewhere in the thread -- on my
2-year old laptop doing both shaved about 3C from the normal operating
temperature.

HTH,

--
Alexandre Kovalenko (Олександр Коваленко)