Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 2004 14:40:11 -0500
From:      Christopher Nehren <apeiron@comcast.net>
To:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Suggestion for distinction of XS Perl ports

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 13:38:41 EST, parv scribbled these
curious markings:
> A module is a module is a module.
>=20
> If we will be having XS modules marked as stated above, i want to
> have module ports marked which are already installed w/ a, 'a' as in
> any, perl version.

I'm not exactly sure of what you mean by this -- can you elaborate?

> A port's files must have something that can identify it is a XS
> port; something in pkg-descr, reference to compiler in Makefile,
> pod, etc.

I think that something like this[1]:
find ${PORTSDIR} -mindepth 3 -maxdepth 3 -iregex '.*p5.*/pkg-plist' -exec
grep -l '\.so$' {} \;

would work as a good start. Granted, it won't get everything
(razor-agents, for example), but it does get a lot of them --
approximately 240 or so on my machine. An alternative method is to have
the XS Perl modules depend on a pseudo-port, and then you can
"portupgrade -r perl-xs-package", and it'd do all of the work for you,
like with pkg-config and GNOME (though that's not a pseudo-port at all,
of course).

[1]: If desired, I could write a Perl script to recurse through the
ports tree and grep the Makefiles for PERL_CONFIGURE and the pkg-plist
files for '\.so$'. This would probably prove to be a more definitive way
to determine which ports use XS. If anyone knows of a better way to
determine if a port is a Perl XS module, the information would be
appreciated.

--=20
pejorative meaning "stupid and unsophisticated".  -- Ken Thompson
-
Please CC me in all replies, even if I'm on the relevant list(s).

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK--