Date:      Tue, 15 Oct 2002 00:46:33 +0100 (BST)
From:      Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>
To:        Carl Schmidt <carl@slackerbsd.org>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Old port recompiles needed (Re: Unknown symbol "__

[moved to chat@]

On 14-Oct-2002 Carl Schmidt wrote:
> The distance argument is probably not relevant.  I remember a long time
> ago some person from the UK complaining about having to use ISDN because
> NTL did not provide cable at that distance, or something.  I honestly do
> not know about that.

In the UK have two main broadband suppliers (outside of London). BT (British
Telecom) use ADSL and that is currently limited to around 5km from an exchange.
The other is NTL running DOCSIS over their cable network, if you have cable
TV then you can get a cable modem now that they've rolled it out over most of
the country.

If you have no cable, and are >5km from an equiped BT exchange,
then it's ISDN. Currently BT require about 250 people to register for
small rural villages for them to start considering putting ADSL into
local exchanges. I know people that are paying for satellite feeds, and
I am having to setup ISDN at a new job.

Duncan