Date:      Tue, 04 Jun 2002 12:34:59 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hideyuki KURASHINA <rushani@bl.mmtr.or.jp>
To:        uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ESS 1868 in old laptop

Hi,

>>> On Tue, 4 Jun 2002 01:07:26 +0200 (CEST), Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de> said:

> But there is no PLIP in NetBSD, couldnt make Linux run etcpp,
> so there is now FBSD 3.5.1 on the machine. Started with 2.1.7, there
> were some seconds sound with VOX, but VOX doesnt work on 3.5.1 with this
> chip at all. The chip seems to be supported by the sbc device in 4.*, but
> this cannot be loaded on the machine, fatal trap 1, when the kernel boots.

Have you tried following stuffs on loader stage?

  set hw.pcic.intr_path=1
  set hw.pcic.irq=0

# see pcic(4) for details.

BTW, I can use ESS 1688 on my TP365X with recently 4-stable. The
configuration is below;

  device          pcm0
  device          sbc0    at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x10

and get following dmesg;

  sbc0: <ESS 688> at port 0x220-0x22f irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x10 on isa0
  pcm0: <ESS 18xx DSP> on sbc0

and works fine :)

Good luck!

----
Hideyuki KURASHINA              / Nagaoka National College of Technology
rushani@{bl.mmtr,yk.rim}.or.jp /  ac14806t@st.nagaoka-ct.ac.jp