Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:11:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      George Uhl <uhl@mamba-e.gsfc.nasa.gov>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD upgrade problems with pcm driver

Hi Luigi,

I've been running FreeBSD 2.2.5 on one of my PCs for quite
a while.  I have a gus pnp card that uses the pcm driver
coupled with manual configuration of the card parameters
(the bios doesn't support pnp for thei card).

I've upgraded to 2.2.8 and during the device detection and
configuration while booting, the pcm driver causes a kernel
panic and writes garbage to the display.  Thus, I couldn't
see where in the kernel the error was occuring.

So I built a kernel without the pcm driver but the pnp controller
enabled, and that didn't crash.  I rebooted and manually
configured the pnp car manually and that didn't crash.  Only when
I enabled the pcm driver did the problem occur.

I decided to use the older source for sys/isa/i386/snd for the
driver (dated 980123) instead of the one that comes with FreeBSD
(dated 981022).  After a minor change to sound.c (modifiying a
type declaration for the offset parameter of function sndmmap),
I recompiled the kernel with a few warnings.

The kernel boots fine and the soundcard works.  I thought you
should know about this little glitch.  I'm satisified that I
can get it to work as it is now, but if the new driver has
better feature I'd like to use it.  Is there a solution to
make it work?

Thanks,
George Uhl