Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 2000 18:18:30 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: flush the previous hostname

On Sun, Mar 19, 2000 at 05:28:21AM +0100, Len Conrad wrote:
> I changed the hostname of a fbsd 3.4  from hostold to hostnew, in rc.conf.
>
>  From the net, this works fine.  And dig @ our nameservers find none with
> hosthold and all with hostnew.  But within hosthnew, we are still get
> screen and log msgs referring to hostold.  of course, we have rebooted, but
> the machine is still haunted by hostold msgs.
>
> Where else do we change the hostname other than rc.conf?

If you rebooted, that should pretty much do it. However, does
/etc/hosts get consulted before the DNS? What's in there? Same thing
with NIS, if you are running it.

Could you be more specific about where you see the old hostname being
used?

And why were about four copies of this mail sent to the list?