Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 1995 10:41:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freebsd.org>
To:        Donald Burr <d_burr@ix.netcom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, freebsd-docs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User-level and administrative diff's between BSDi and FreeBSD?

On Sun, 31 Dec 1995, Donald Burr wrote:

> I just picked up the latest edition of "UNIX System Administration
> Handbook" (an EXCELLENT reference text, btw; I'll be sending highest
> kudos to the authors).

	YES!  hope that you got the 2nd edition, red cover with cdrom.
the first edition is thinner on material and details both.

> While it doesn't go into details about any of the Free*BSD's nor Linux,
> it DOES go into details of a lot of the workstation OS's, including HPUX,
> Solaris, ... as well as BSDi on 80x86's.

	a great project would be to create a set of FreeBSD specific
notations for the book.  just like the authors did for sunos, solaris,
hpux, bsdi, irix (sgi), ...

	this task can be divided up among a group of people, each signing
on for a chapter or more.  there are over 25 chapters in the book.  (my
copy is at work, doing this from memory)

	this is NOT to say that the handbook is insufficient.  rather when
people ask about FreeBSD, we would be able to tell them to get the file
and see exactly what is different and how. ;)

Jonathan M. Bresler        FreeBSD Postmaster         jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
play go. ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life
i am moving to a new job.                 PLEASE USE: jmb@FreeBSD.ORG