Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 09:20:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        chem@i-p-d.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: temporary mail 40 MB copied to root

chem@i-p-d.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Now that I have the temp-files of mail.local on var, with lots of
> empty space, mail.local managed to deliver 1 of 5 (!) 40
> MB-messages in my root-inbox, cause it has been sent over 5 days ago,
> and wasnt able to deliver it..... I deleted the 4 others in the
> mailqueue. Now - obviously - I can't open the root-inbox no more. Is
> there a way to delete this message, without loosing all my other
> messages in the root in-box? Or do I just delete my whole root-file
> at /var/mail?
>
> And in case you are wondering, I have set MaxMessageSize in sendmail
> at 2 MB now.......

The easiest thing is to get rid of the file, if the other messages
are unimportant.

OK: lets say the others are important.  THey will be located
at the head of the file.  Suppose you /know/ they are, total,
less than 1 MB in size. Then to grab the first 1 MB of the file,
use dd,  as in:

	dd if=/var/mail/root of=/tmp/somefile bs=1k count=1k

Now look at 'somefile' with vi, and work your way down to the
start of the bad/big mail; Delete from there to the end of file.

then you can rm /var/mail/root, i.e. mv /tmp/somefile /var/mail/root

Be certain that the permissions are good! Should be rw-------,
owned root.wheel

This can also be done with "head", or with "formail" but the
dd is straightforward.

Dave
--
                <----.   mail-to: djv@bedford.net