Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 1995 13:46:03 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/config Makefile main.c

[PLEASE watch your Cc lines!]

<<On Wed, 29 Nov 1995 10:34:40 -0800, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org> said:

> Why not make option lines add an entry to a common header file.  Only
> modules that export an option need to include the "option" header.
> We could have a separate keyword "define" that gives the current behavior
> so you can still do it the old quick way for debugging.  I think that
> a make depend would have much more value if this was done.

That just brings you back to the same old problem of everything
getting recompiled when you change the FOOBAR_GRONKULATOR option from
0 to 1 even though only two files depend on the setting of that
particular option.

Now, if you wanted to suggest that every such option have a /separate/
header file generated for it, then I might be open to it.  (Although
that would generate even more incredible amounts of junk in the work
directory, and config would have to be modified to read some file
listing all possible options.)

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.