Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 19:35:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      lambert@lambertfam.org (Scott Lambert)
To:        FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Illegal cable configuration?? (SCSI, new install of FreeBSD)

In muc.lists.freebsd.questions, you wrote:
> Danny Yoo <danny@vkpc.com> types:
>> ahc0: Illegal cable configuration!! Only two connectors on the adapter may
>> be used at a time!
>>
>> I'm not sure what the system means by: "Only two connectors on the adapter
>> may be used at a time!" The external connector isn't used and the external
>> termination jumper is set (I've tried it in both positions); only the
>> internal connector cable is used which connects first to the HD then to the
>> CD-ROM. I've tried reversing the order, I've tried disconnecting the CD-ROM
>> from the system to no avail.
>
> It's not unusual for a SCSI controller to have three connectors: one
> external, one internal for 50 pin, and one internal for 68 pin. Having
> all three in use at once violates the SCSI calbe spec. That's what
> you're being warned about.

I had four Gigabyte motherboards with AIC-7890s built in which gave me
this error with only one cable connected.  Others boards with the same
model number had no such errors.  All have worked perfectly for 2+ years.

Sometimes the message is bogus.

But if Danny Yoo's machine is locking up, he probably has a real problem.

--
Scott Lambert                          Unix SysAdmin -- Looking for work.
lambert@lambertfam.org     http://www.lambertfam.org/~lambert/resume.html