Date:      Sun, 03 Apr 2005 10:36:09 -0500
From:      Chris <racerx@makeworld.com>
To:        Mike Jeays <Mike.Jeays@rogers.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Repairing an inconsistent system

Mike Jeays wrote:
> I made a mess of my 5.3 installation.  I cvsupped the ports tree, and
> then tried to get the gtk interface to Ruby to work, and reinstalled the
> port for gtk20.  Firefox and Evolution then stopped working, complaining
> about missing libraries such as libgtk-x11-2.0.so.400 being absent -
> they have been replaced by  ..so.600.
>
> I tried doing ln  -s ...600 ... 400, and the result was even worse; the
> applications ran, but all the text was scrambled.  So I copied the
> original libraries over from another machine, and things SEEM back to
> normal.  But I now have a machine that has libraries that don't match
> the ports tree.
>
> How should I get myself out of this self-inflicted mess?  Re-install
> gtk20, followed by all the applications that depend on it?

As a rule of thumb, after cvsuping the ports tree, BEFORE you run
portugrade/portmanager - READ /usr/ports/UPDATING.

This also applies to the src tree. The reading of /usr/src/UPDATING
should be second nature by now.

These files give you a heads up on things that have
changed/added/removed and give you clues on how to handle issues (should
they exist).

Many helpful scripts can be created to do what's needed within that file.

--
Best regards,
Chris

If you're early, it'll be cancelled.
If you knock yourself out to be on time, you will
    have to wait.
If you're late, you will be too late.