Date:      Wed, 9 Feb 2000 21:52:29 -0500
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
Cc:        "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>, freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VMWare: booting existing device ...

On Wed, Feb 09, 2000 at 07:58:02AM +0000, Nick Sayer wrote:
> > > 1. It is a security hole, but if you`re willing to put up with it, you can
> > > chgrp g+w the device and then make sure you`re a member of the `operator`
> > > group.
> > Probably last sentence about group membership doesn't required, because
> > wizard launched from the setuid'ed vmware.
>
> Except that it relinquishes those privileges when opening the device.
> If you don't have write access to the device as your own UID, you can't
> use it.
May be I can open it in read-only mode? I'm sure that it's more than enough
for vmware-wizard.

> [...]
> > In 1.1.x release vmware configuration panel and vmware-wizard doesn't concerned
> > about type of device. Probably a type of device is checked at a time when
> > guest booted. I think that doesn't changed in 2.0 version.
>
> It must have. Using a character device for hda fails.
I was tested right now, in vmware configuration panel you are can specify
/dev/da0 as a device name and this is working pretty fine. But vmware complained
at the time when guest started.

> > About FreeBSD and block devices, right now new-ATA driver doesn't have
> > a differences between character and block devices and working pretty
> > well with inode marked as block device, but as block devices
> > going to be deprecated may be good solution will be remove a sense of
> > a device type, and in the kernel don't pay attention to the state
> > of device type in the inode.
>
> I do admit that I was using a block device with the major number of the
> character device for ata. Perhaps ata has a different major number for
> block devices than character devices. I haven't checked this out.
Yes, you are right. A block device use major number 0 (why ??), but
real ad0 has other numbers, and when specify major number from an ad0
device, generated error 'device not configured'.

--
Vladimir Silyaev