Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 13:16:44 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Nick Hibma <n_hibma@calcaphon.com>
Cc:        new-bus@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Debugger vs panic

In message <Pine.BSF.4.20.0006271149030.13143-100000@localhost> Nick Hibma writes:
: He was quite persistent in his opinion that it was a bug in the code and
: could only lead to faults later in the code. He'd rather have the
: problem pointed out right where it occurs. And I agree with him to the
: extent that if there is a problem it should go pop as early as possible
: in the appropriate place, and not at a later stage where you will have
: to trace back to the place where the value was last written, which might
: be complicated to say the least.

I'd rather have a #define that I can give to have it fail out rather
than panic.  Why?  I don't like rebuildnig my disks.  When I'm
debugging new drivers, I tend to make bonehead mistakes, especially in
the bridge driver I'm working on.  I've wasted lots and lots of time
because of these panics.  It would be nicer if I could #define way the
panic when I want.  For most people, they will want to keep the
panics.  For me, and other ard core developers the panics do negative
good.

I guess I want a "debugging expert" flag that says that I'll fix
anything that causes a kernel printf and to please just print and fail
exit rather than do a full panic for silly things.

Warner