Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2018 13:51:30 -0400
From:      Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: specifying alignment of loader files

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 11:45:01AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 11:16 AM, Mark Johnston <markj@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 11:11:25AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:

> > > I thought the loader already did that for ELF sections... Why not wrap
> > your
> > > file in such a segment?
> >
> > In this case it's a raw binary file (CPU microcode), and I want to be
> > able to load it without any modifications or wrappers.
> >

> How do you identify the type then? I'm ok in theory with this (though a
> variable is more flexible than needed), but that's my main concern. What's
> the alignment required btw?

It'd be a property of the type, e.g.,

cpu_ucode_name=/boot/firmware/...
cpu_ucode_align=16

I do feel like having a separate variable is overkill, but I can't see
a less invasive solution that isn't hacky.

The required alignment for Intel is 16 bytes; I'm not yet sure whether
AMD has a required alignment.