Date:      Mon, 06 Feb 1995 19:37:00 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Ed Hudson <elh@p5.spnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kernel limits

>	however, let me ask again as to why the value of 40 for
>	CHILD_MAX/MAXUPRC, as an initial setting of a user's maxproc,
>	is still relevent in a modern workstation?

   Hmmm...I just looked at SunOS 4.1.3 and the limit there is 25 processes.
...but I agree that 40 is too small. Perhaps 64 is more reasonable.

>>>	1)	bump /usr/src/sys/sys/param.h:MAXSYMLNK	from 8 to
>>>		something reasonable, such as 32.
>>
>> This limit should probably be changeable using sysctl.
>
>	it would be great if this were indeed changeable via sysctl.
>	and would certainly satisfy my needs.  but this is overkill
>	for a number that is otherwise rarely relevent.
>
>	it looks to me like this is only used as a constant in
>	an iteration count check.  i don't quite feel competent
>	enough with the kernel sources yet to volunteer to implement
>	this change.

   This change has been committed to CVS:

revision 1.7
date: 1995/02/07 03:33:05;  author: davidg;  state: Exp;  lines: +2 -2
Changed maximum number of symlinks in a path from 8 to 32. The exact value
isn't important; it is only used to prevent symlink loops from looping
forever. 32 is a quite reasonable default.

Submitted by:   Ed Hudson <elh@p5.spnet.com>

-DG