Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 20:21:14 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Erik Sabowski <airyk@sdf.lonestar.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: uninstalling a port

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Erik Sabowski wrote:

> I want to uninstall a port, so i went to it's directory in the ports tree
> and ran 'make deinstall'. this didn;t work because i upgraded the ports
> tree since then, so what is there is a different version than what is
> installed. does that mean pkg_delete is the way to uninstall it? even
> though i didn;t install it from a package? thanks for any help

Yes! You can install a port like that.

1) Find the port you want to deinstall. Let's say you want to deinstall
pine. You'd do:

pkg_info | grep pine

You'd then get a line like

pine-4.40	PINE(tm) - a program for Internet News & eMail

2) Now that you know the exact name of the port (pine4.40), you can delete
it by typing

pkg_delete -f pine-4.40

That's all!

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org