Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 15:36:20 -0500
From:      Ken Stailey <kstailey@surfbest.net>
To:        Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/33818: Bootable ITS image for KLH-10 PDP-10 emulator

Alan Eldridge wrote:

>The following reply was made to PR ports/33818; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
>From: Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
>To: Kenneth Stailey <kstailey@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: ports/33818: Bootable ITS image for KLH-10 PDP-10 emulator
>Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2002 14:29:55 -0500
>
> On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 11:01:03AM -0800, Kenneth Stailey wrote:

> >	Bootable ITS image for KLH-10 PDP-10 emulator.  Disregart prior
> >submission.  The image is rather large.  45MB compressed download and
> >170MB uncompressed.  The port tries not to store two uncompressed copies
> >during installation ever.
>
> Urghh ... you know that all the stuff in libexec is read-only, right?
>
> Just thought of that....
>
> How's this supposed to be run? Root only?
>
> Maybe you ought to put the disk image in, oh, ${PREFIX}/spool/klh10/images.
> Then at least it's somewhere that's expected to be writable.
>
> Anybody else got any ideas on that?
> --
> Alan Eldridge
> Pmmfmffmmfmp mmmpppppffmpmfpmpppff PmpMpmMpp ppfppp MpfpffmppmppMmpFmmMpm
> mfpmmmmmfpmpmpppff.

kn10-ks only runs from the directory with its support files and emulator
image.  Support files do not get modified during emulator execution. You
could put the emulator image under /var and use a symlink since it does
change as ITS runs.  I tested this OK.  Unfortuately, not that many
systems have enough /var space to do this I'd imagine.