Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2007 19:47:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Terrence Wilson <tjw43@drexel.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   need help using ndis and inconv

I need whatever help I can get to use ndis to converter wireless nic
card so I can use it on my laptop. it seems that I don't have iconv
working properly. I go into the ndisgen program by typing the command:

# ndisgen

The program opens and gives a list of options. I choose option 3:
Convert driver. The program then asks me to type in the path to the
.inf file. So I type:

/cdrom/DRIVER/bcmwl5.inf

The program then says "This .INF file appears to be in Unicode. The
iconv(1) utility does not appear to be installed. Please install this
utility or convert the .INF file to ASCII and run this utility."

So, I downloaded the iconv-2.0_3.tbz package and run the command:

# pkg_add iconv-2.0_3.tbz

Then I try ndisgen again and I get the above error message again. When
I type in the command

# pkg_info -L iconv-2.0_3 | less

I get a list of files including biconv, iconv_mktbl, biconv.h, etc. But
when I enter the command:

# iconv

I get the message: Command not found.

Since it seems that the main problem now is getting iconv to run, the
question is do I have it installed correctly? Do I need to change any
environment variables to get the system to run it? How do I do this so
that it runs automatically inside the ndisgen program, since this what
it seems like the system is trying to do? Thanks for any help.
          Please note, although no boardcode and smiley buttons are
shown, they are still useable