Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 1998 23:07:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, "Jordan K.Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: gnu/usr.bin/cvs/libdiff

On 27-Jan-98 Nate Williams wrote:

>> > "man make"
>> While I know most of my shortcomings (thanx for the rminder :-), I still
>> did
>> nothing short of cvs update (or checkout - matters not), followed be
>> make
>> buildworld and poof - the compile failed.
>
> Then you didn't update everything you needed.  Did you update
> /usr/src/contrib, which is where the CVS stuff is gotten from?  If not,
> then you didn't update everything, and if you would have looked at the
> Makefile you would have known that it was looking in
> /usr/src/contrib/cvs for the files in question.

I tend to make a very routine and rigid procedure, which is not in a shell
script only due to lazynesss and desire to visually inspect each step:

<  cvsup of ALL of the sources, ALL of the ports and ALL of the docs  >
rm -rf /usr/obj/usr/src/3.0
chflags -R noschg /usr/obj/usr/src/3.0
rm -rf /usr/obj/usr/src/3.0
<  Much fasterthan chflags followedby rm  >
cd /usr/src/{2,2,3.0}/src
cvs update -P -d >& ../update.out
xemac ../update.out
<  Correct any deviations and repeat until no more complaints (if any)  >
make buildworld >& ../build.out
xemacs ../build.out
<  Repeat until perfect >
< NFS mount /usr/src and /usr/obj form a sacrifice machine, make
installworld and reboot  >
make installworld

If the source tree is healthy and I do not miss something, it always works.

This time I forgot the rm -rf /usr/obj/... which in my stubborn,
make-neophite mind is unnecessary step which renders make an awkward shell
instead of an incremental system builder.

Now, I know all the reasons why this should be necessary, but in my slow
brain, they simply do not register well :-)

My apologies for consuming this bandwidth with an obvious cocpit error.

Sincerely Yours,

Simon Shapiro
Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG                      Voice:   503.799.2313