Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 09:26:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Derrick Baumer <bduk@earthlink.net>
To:        PMJDALZELL@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Email to message ID? (was "No Subject")

For starters, you could put a subject line in your message.  I usually
just skip over messages without subject lines as I scan the headers,
which probably would explain why most of the people who might have
been able to answer your question before didn't answer, and is why
they probably wont answer this time either.  If you sent the message
out on April 17th, as you say, you've probably received at least one
of those automated messages that tell you how to use this mailing
list, one that covers such mundane topics as putting subject lines in
your emails.  I suggest you read it again, or wait 'til it comes out
again if you (probably) deleted it already.

> From: PMJDALZELL@aol.com
>
> On April 17, I sent the below message and have never received a response.
> Can anyone there help me?   thanks
>

> exactly how do I use message id? I have put in the following:
>
> <06545573900055@ebs.ulead.com>
>
> 06545573900055@ebs.ulead.com
>
> and nothing.  I have loaded every type of format possible and nothing comes
> up.  Maybe you could put in examples so 'dummies' like me wouldn't have such
> a hard time.  thanks

As for your question, are you trying to send an email to a person or a
machine?  I know very few people with email addresses like the one you
describe above, and I know very few machines that read email during
their spare cycles.  How do you use a message ID?  I don't think a
message ID is something a person is supposed to use.  It's just a
tracking number used by the servers who send the mail along to its
intended destination.  It's not an email address, and I doubt it can
be resolved to an email address.  If you want to send something to the
people in charge at ebs.ulead.com, try sending something to
"root@ebs.ulead.com" or "webmaster@ebs.ulead.com" or whatever.

Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm misleading this guy.

---

Derrick Baumer