Date:      Fri, 01 Jan 1999 18:03:51 -0500
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Possible change to first page on site

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/~nik/>; is a possible change to the front page
> > of the site (yes, I know the image links are broken).
>
> One criticism I've heard on the new site, even though people like it
> better than the old, is that there's too much stuff there now for the
> beginner to get lost in.  I think it's a fair point to say that most
> newbies will hand at the home page first whereas most veterans will be
> using more directed URLs to various resources they already know to be
> there.  Given that, we should probably target the home page more at
> the newbie than we do.  This means larger, starburst style thingies
> that have labels like: "How do I install it?"  "Latest news!" and
> "Getting help".  In other words, if every hacker who first looks at it
> throws up in sheer disgust, the new design will be a total success! :-)
>
> - Jordan
One correction to that would be to create a new section in the left
column entitled "Newbie" or "New user?" and to move the For Newbies link
in the Documentation under that title. This is just to give an emphasis
on WHERE TO START.
Also, why not fusion Quick Newsletter with Announcement since both
provide nearly the same info?
One last thing, why not changing Getting FreeBSD to Installing FreeBSD?
I'm not an English expert(hehe), but "Installing" or something with
"Install" would be better than "Getting".
Cya
--
[Malartre][malartre@aei.ca][http://www.lowrent.org/freebsd/malartre/]
[Lowrent.org is down...]