Date:      Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:04:46 +1400
From:      "whiz bangk" <whizbangk@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hardware support with soundmax

I just tried the Freesbie to see wether I could actually migrate to FreeBSD.
The rest of the hardware just started working as they should have but I
couldn't get audio working though this is a quite common setup I reckon.

Dmesg says:
pcm0: <Intel ICH5 (82801EB)> port 0xee80-0xeebf,0xe800-0xe8ff mem
0xfebff400-0xfebff4ff,0xfebff800-0xfebff9ff irq 7 at device 31.5 on pci0
pcm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
pcm0: <Analog Devices AD1980 AC97 Codec>

sndstat says:
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Intel ICH5 (82801EB)> at io 0xfebff800, 0xfebff400 irq 7 bufsz 16384
kld snd_ich (1p/1r/0v channels duplex default)

I got a hint that I should tinker with sysctl and sysctl -w
hw.snd.pcm0.enable_spdif=1 or something similar. However there doesn't seem
to be such oid, only these are available for hw.snd.*:

hw.snd.targetirqrate: 32
hw.snd.report_soft_formats: 1
hw.snd.verbose: 1
hw.snd.unit: 0
hw.snd.maxautovchans: 0
hw.snd.pcm0.buffersize: 16384
hw.snd.pcm0.vchans: 0
hw.snd.pcm0.ac97rate: 48000

The device files seem to be around as far as I can notice and the mixer
levels seem to be fine as well. Alas no audio. (Analogs work but I won't use
them.)

Oof. If I can't get the spdif output it's a blocker for me. Am I out of luck
here?