Date:      Sun, 2 Mar 1997 18:42:56 -0800
From:      jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby)
To:        henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG, ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
Subject:   Re: RSA 56-bit key challenge

Guy Helmer writes:
> On Sun, 2 Mar 1997, Charles Henrich wrote:
>
> > The binary distribution client performs 346534 keys/sec on my PPro/233
> >
> > A GCC-2.6.3 binary performs 390k/sec on a PPro/233 with HAVE_FPU math libs
> > A GCC-2.7.2 binary performs 219k/sec on a PPro/233 with HAVE_FPU math libs
>
> That might help explain some of the differences in numbers for my runs of
> SPEC95 fp benchmarks on 2.1.5 (-O2 optimization) w/o HAVE_FPU math libs
> vs. 2.2-BETA (-O4 optimization) w/ HAVE_FPU.  I ran a few of the fp
> benchmarks on 2.2 to compare to my full run under 2.1.5 and found the
> codes ran from slightly faster to much slower under 2.2.  I figured it was
> due to the different math library, but maybe the compiler is more at fault
> than I thought...

Maybe this has to do with the patch in 2.7.2.1 to disable certain kinds of
strength reduction (-fstrength-reduce) because of buggy code generation.  Recall
that this bug was why FreeBSD changed from using -O2 to -O optimization
(although some people used "-O2 -fno-strength-reduce).  Here's a quote from
David S. Miller, from the "Sun vs. GCC" thread last month:

>   Also, the various optimizer bugs in GCC in the past have led people
>   to be wary to use -O2 optimization, much less try additional
>   optimization flags.
>
>I know about them, just about all of them are in the strength
>reduction pass.  I am very familiar with the problematic bugs this
>layer has, and I have been actively trying to get people on the GCC
>development team to fix them.  Almost all of these problems have to do
>with when a pointer comparison is converted into an integer invariant
>comparison, and vice versa.  GCC in certain circumstances does not
>notice the change in signed'ness and thus produces incorrect code.  In
>gcc-2.7.2.1, the strength reduction transformations that were known to
>lead to this situation were disabled entirely and in fact this fix was
>the entire reason for that release of gcc.

-- Jake