Date:      Tue, 28 Jan 1997 10:55:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dara@salk.edu (Dara Ghahremani)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing network cards

> I am having some trouble installing two 100BaseT-capable ethernet network
> cards on two different freeBSD machines and am wondering if there's
> someone who can help.

[ ... ]

> However, upon booting the cards are not recognized. I was given these
> driver IDs by a colleague and do not see them listed in the FreeBSD
> documentation. Does anyone have experience with using these cards?
> I'd appreciate any comments that might lead to a solution.

Run the command "ifconfig -a"; on my machine, I get:

lp0: flags=810<POINTOPOINT,SIMPLEX> mtu 1500
de0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
tun0: flags=10<POINTOPOINT> mtu 1500
sl0: flags=c010<POINTOPOINT,LINK2,MULTICAST> mtu 552
lo0: flags=8009<UP,LOOPBACK,MULTICAST> mtu 16384

lp0 is my parallel port, tun0 is the tunnel driver, sl0 is the SL/IP
driver, and lo0 is the loopback.

This leaves de0 unaccounted for, and that's my ethernet card.

You need to see if you have an ethernet card that is seen by the
system... and then use that name if you do.

If you don't have a card seen by the system, then you need to run
the command "dmesg | more" and read through the boot log to see
if you can see an ethernet card being identified.  If not, you may
not have a driver in your kernel.  I seem to remember the card you
have is a fairly recent addition, so unless you are running a fairly
recent FreeBSD, you may not have the driver at all.  If you don't,
then you should get the driver from -current:

	/sys/i386/isa/if_ex.c
	/sys/i386/isa/if_exreg.h
	/sys/i386/isa/if_ixreg.h

If I remember correctly.  Look in the code and contact the author
for more detailed instructions, if necessary.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---