Date:      Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:38:50 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI device not created upon a CF card plug in

Milan Obuch wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 July 2009 04:20:27 Sagara Wijetunga wrote:
>> Hi FreeBSD community
>>
>> The SCSI device (eg. da1s1) is not created automatically upon a CF card
>> plug in on an USB multi-card reader on FreeBSD 7.2 (i386) but the SCSI
>> device (eg. da1s1) is created automatically if I reboot the computer while
>> the CF card is plug in.
>>
>> Here are detail:
>> $ camcontrol devlist
>> <GENERIC USB Storage-SMC 010D>     at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
>> <GENERIC USB Storage-CFC 010D>     at scbus0 target 0 lun 1 (pass1,da1)
>> <GENERIC USB Storage-MMC 010D>     at scbus0 target 0 lun 2 (pass2,da2)
>> <GENERIC USB Storage-MSC 010D>     at scbus0 target 0 lun 3 (pass3,da3)
>>
>> After the CF card is plugged in:
>> $ ls -l /dev/ | grep da
>> crw-r-----  1 root    operator    0, 105 Jul 22 13:18 da0
>> crw-r-----  1 root    operator    0, 106 Jul 22 13:18 da1
>> crw-r-----  1 root    operator    0, 107 Jul 22 13:18 da2
>> crw-r-----  1 root    operator    0, 108 Jul 22 13:18 da3
>>
>> After reboot while the CF card is plugged in:
>> $ ls -l /dev/ | grep da
>> crw-r-----  1 root    operator    0, 105 Jul 22 13:24 da0
>> crw-r-----  1 root    operator    0, 106 Jul 22 13:24 da1
>> crw-r-----  1 root    operator    0, 110 Jul 22 13:24 da1s1
>> crw-r-----  1 root    operator    0, 107 Jul 22 13:24 da2
>> crw-r-----  1 root    operator    0, 108 Jul 22 13:24 da3
>>
>> My questions in this regards are:
>> 1. Is this an error/bug in FreeBSD 7.2?
>
> This is known limitation of, I think, GEOM stack.

No, it is certainly not. What would be the point?

The problem the OP is not that the CF device itself is not detected -
the device being /dev/da1 - but that the partition on the device (da1s1)
is not detected. It is possibly malformed.

The OP should nuke the device (overwrite with dd if=/dev/zero
of=/dev/da1 bs=1m), re-create the partition table and see if that helps.