Date:      Thu, 02 Dec 1999 08:52:34 -0700
From:      "J.C. Frazier" <wolfman@csocs.com>
To:        "Eric W. Bates" <ericx@vineyard.net>
Cc:        Stuart Henderson <sh@eclipse.net.uk>, jahanur <jahanur@jjsoft.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Media streaming server

I've had the same type of problems with realplayer.  I am running an icecast
daemon at the moment and it does extremely well.  The only problem is that
there aren't any good non-commercial codecs so you end up broadcasting at
extreme rates making it near impossible for users on dial-ups to listen
without a ton of skips.  What I've found to be the best way to go is this:
use the icecast server on your fbsd box, then broadcast from a windows box
via winamp using the shoutcast plugin and the Fraunhofer codecs.  These
codecs are also commercial, however there is a way around it.  Microsoft
offers a free program called nstools, which comes with these needed codecs.
Once you do that you can set it up to broadcast at better bitrates, saving on
bandwidth and making it possible for almost anyone to listen.  Mine is set up
to broadcast at 18kbps, 16,000 khz, mono...which is equivalent of a 2kb/s ftp
download.  Almost anyone on any connection can sustain that and the quality
is still bearable.  Also, using icecast you can broadcast other people's
streams and others can relay yours.  That makes the daemon very versatile.
Using the shoutcast plugins and better codecs you can also set winamp up to
do live broadcasts or broadcast from CD's or line inputs.  If you do the
above you can save on bandwidth, have a good audio server running, and do it
all free.  Beware however of copyright laws in your local area.  Broadcasting
copywritten music can have many legal issues.

J.C. Frazier