Date:      Fri, 06 Sep 2002 00:05:43 +0200
From:      Paul Everlund <tdv94ped@cs.umu.se>
To:        Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsup updates and sources and updating

Bsd Neophyte wrote:

> okay... this has been explained to me more than once, but i'm
> still not grasping it.
>
> when you cvsup sources... these sources are then used automatic-
> ally when you rebuild the kernel... and only at this time?

You can cvsup various parts of the system, where src-sys is the
kernel (if I myself have grasped it all correct :)

> also, when you rebuild the kernel, does it upgrade you to the
> latest freebsd version?

Yep, at least to the latest kernel, but it might be out of sync
with the user programs (i.e. those in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin and
/usr/sbin). If the kernel structures has changed, programs as
top and ps (which are working quite tight to the kernel) will
not work correctly, if you haven't also build the world (the
user programs in above mentioned directories).

If a build of the world fails, it might be because you haven't
cvsup'ed all sources needed to build it, so be sure you have all
the sources.

Tip: cvsup all the sources (at least until you know which one
you need which one you don't). Read the Makefile file (located
in /usr/src). Just follow the steps in the text. It is also good
to read the README file at the same location.

I hope this helped you!

Best regards,
Paul