Date:      Sun, 19 May 1996 09:13:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      dlr <dlr@asylum.org>
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Terminal Emulation Problems

|> Just installed 2.1.0-RELEASE on a 486-66 via nfs and it went without a
|> hitch. Many nice improvements from 2.0 (which i am running on another
|> machine).
|>
|> I am having a strange problem which i'm certain someone will laugh and
|> tell me is so simple to fix.
|>
|> When i run vi <file> at i cannot see the file.  i've tried vt100,
|
|You did not mention under what circumstances the vi problem occurs.
|Are you logging in remotely? Is the file contents visible for
|a short moment ? What are your stty settings?

By setting term=pc3 or term=ibmpc i can get things to work on the console.

when doing remote work, setting freebsd2.1 and the machine i am
logging in from to xterm isn't working correctly.

here are the stty settings for freebsd:

speed 9600 baud; 65 rows; 80 columns;
lflags: icanon isig iexten echo echoe -echok echoke -echonl echoctl
        -echoprt -altwerase -noflsh -tostop -flusho pendin -nokerninfo
        -extproc
iflags: -istrip icrnl -inlcr -igncr ixon -ixoff ixany imaxbel -ignbrk
        brkint -inpck -ignpar -parmrk
oflags: opost onlcr -oxtabs
cflags: cread cs8 -parenb -parodd hupcl -clocal -cstopb -crtscts -dsrflow
        -dtrflow -mdmbuf
cchars: discard = ^O; dsusp = ^Y; eof = ^D; eol = <undef>;
        eol2 = <undef>; erase = ^H; intr = ^C; kill = ^U; lnext = ^V;
        min = 1; quit = ^\; reprint = ^R; start = ^Q; status = ^T;
        stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; time = 0; werase = ^W;

i thought having xterm on both ends would allow me to make the window
larger smaller etc and xterm would take care of it. Starting vi <file>
remotely (logged into freebsd) i don't see the file briefly.

here are the stty settings for the sparc2:

speed 9600 baud, 24 rows, 80 columns
-parenb -parodd cs8 -cstopb -hupcl cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl -iuclc
ixon -ixany -ixoff imaxbel
isig iexten icanon -xcase echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -tostop
echoctl -echoprt echoke
opost -olcuc onlcr -ocrnl -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel
erase  kill   werase rprnt  flush  lnext  susp   intr   quit   stop   eof
^H     ^U     ^W     ^R     ^O     ^V     ^Z/^Y  ^C     ^\     ^S/^Q  ^D

thanks,

dave