Date:      Fri, 31 Jul 1998 16:13:38 -0500
From:      Rob Arnold <rarnold@waddell.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ccd and ccdconfig questions

Hi everyone,

I'm the next in line with a ccd question.

The basic configuration is FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE, 256MB RAM on an Intel
Pentium II/233 box. The intended purpose is to run a nice mail server.

I am trying to created a mirrored filesystem on a ccd consisting of 2
identical SCSI drives, and then mount it as /var/mail. (The drive I'm
booting from is also identical, BTW.)

What I did:

0) RTFM plus Doug White's tutorial plus Satoshi's CCD page on
http://stampede.cs.berkeley.edu/ccd/ plus a lot of questions from the
mailing list archives

1) compiled a kernel with
   pseudo-device	ccd	4

2) MAKEDEV ccd0

3) created /etc/ccd.conf:
#
# /etc/ccd.conf
# Configuration file for concatenated disk devices
# 7/24/98 rob
#

# ccd           ileave  flags                           component devices
ccd0            32      CCDF_UNIFORM,CCDF_MIRROR        /dev/sd1c /dev/sd2c

4) snared the disklabel off sd0 for editing:
#disklabel -r sd0 > foo

5) wrote the following disklabels to sd1 and sd2 (respectively) based on
the label grabbed from sd0, making sure fstype was 4.2BSD:
# /dev/rsd1c:
type: SCSI
disk: sd1s1
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 255
sectors/cylinder: 16065
cylinders: 527
sectors/unit: 8467200
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0		# milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0	# milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c:  8467200        0    unused        0     0       	# (Cyl.    0 - 527*)
  e:  8467200        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0 	# (Cyl.    0 - 527*)

# /dev/rsd2c:
type: SCSI
disk: sd2s1
label:
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 255
sectors/cylinder: 16065
cylinders: 527
sectors/unit: 8467200
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0		# milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0	# milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  c:  8467200        0    unused        0     0       	# (Cyl.    0 - 527*)
  e:  8467200        0    4.2BSD        0     0     0 	# (Cyl.    0 - 527*)

6) ran ccdconfig:
#ccdconfig -Cv
ccdconfig: ioctl (CCDIOCSET): /dev/ccd0c: Inappropriate file type or format

I would newfs ccd0 next, but I can't get past step 6 above.

I suspect my disklabel is probably the cause of this, but I tried hard to
conform to the examples from the mailing list etc. I'm not especially
comfortable with disklabel(8); I figured the geometry would be cool if I
grabbed the disklabel off sd0 which is working fine with all the
filesystems currently. As I mentioned above, all three physical disks are
identical, "IBM DCAS-34330W S65A" wide SCSI drives. And sd0 works fine.

Any thoughts?

   Rob Arnold
   Waddell & Reed Inc.
   NIC handle: RA288