Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 1995 10:04:43 -0500
From:      Charles Kenneth Green - PRC <chuck@fang.cs.sunyit.edu>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Equipment - How much is too little or too much?

On Oct 30,  9:25am, chitturi@dns1.state.mi.us wrote:
} Subject: Equipment - How much is too little or too much?
} Hello,
}
} I am planning on setting up a ISP service mainly for the experience
} of setting up a network. I am contemplating on using FreeBSD because
} of what I read about its network code being stable. I already have a
} machine ( 486/33 running DOS/Linux ). How many machines would I need
} ( optimally ) to become an ISP?
}
} I know that the above question has many possible configurations. I am
} not looking to setup a superfast network. My main concern is about
} the extra peripherals I have to buy apart for my PC( modems, routers
} etc). I read somewhere that FreeBSD can be used as the router. Is
} this true?
}
} As I mentioned earlier, I am doing this for the experience of it. I
} may be buy one low end Pentium for this along with my 486. Please
} give me some practical advice for a novice on ( setup costs and
} operational costs )?
}
} Any help is appreciated.
}
} Thank you in advance.
}
} SubbaRau
}
} --
} chitturi@dns1.state.mi.us
} Disclaimer - I question and speak for myself.
}-- End of excerpt from chitturi@dns1.state.mi.us

        I too am interested in what advice experienced ISP maintainers
have on this subject. Could you please post your answers to the list?

--
Charles Green				             UN*X System Administration
22 Powell Ave. Apt. B 		   	                  UN*X Security   &