Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 12:19:13 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Christopher Allen <gmfangs@asmrb.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with make install in modula-3-lib-3.6

> I've done this, and when I got back to my console it says that make
> world is complete.
>
> However, after I reboot, and log on again, I still see:
>
> FreeBSD 2.2.2-RELEASE (GENERIC) #0: Tue May 20 10:45:24 GMT 1997
>
> Am I missing some final step?

Yes, now you have to rebuild your kernel.  That's not done
automatically by "make world".  Currently, you're still running the
old 2.2.2 kernel.

To build yourself a new GENERIC kernel, do this:

    cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
    config GENERIC
    cd ../../compile/GENERIC
    make depend
    make
    make install

and then reboot.

If the reboot fails for some reason (which is very unlikely), your
old kernel will be in "/kernel.old".  You can specify that at the
"Boot:" prompt to get your system running again.

You also should check your various files in "/etc" against the new
ones in "/usr/src/etc", and merge in any changes or additions that
have taken place between 2.2.2 and now.

John