Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2012 19:39:45 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Andy Young <ayoung@mosaicarchive.com>
Subject:   Re: Ways to promote FreeBSD?

> there are lots of services that could benefit from FreeBSD who are
> not very aware of it.  They may have heard the name, and even know
> that it is an OS, but have heard it passed off as a non-entity in
> the field and do not know better than that.

Don't really understand you.

Basically everything that is open source compiles under FreeBSD out of the
box (or out of ports) or can be ported without big work.

Even if you have binary only 99% of the time linux emulation works great
(for me it worked 100% of time).

And yes - linux is faster if you run one program at a time and measures
how fast openoffice loads. When you get to make greatly loaded server you
will end it buying 50 servers to split "high" load or install FreeBSD.

Everyone have a choice. I really can't imagine serving average sized
company using one server running linux, with file transfers going over
gigabit ethernet from multiple workstations, AND with everyone using
his/her mail AND sendmail receives/sends mails and passes through antispam
and antivirus and greylister AND lots of people view their website, AND
there are 5 virtualboxed windoze session to run old software under windoze
XP AND doing web proxy AND encrypting everything on disk.

Still - getting by average one core saturated, with good deal of it being
encryption (fortunately AESNI support here). All this AT THE SAME TIME on
lower end dell T110-II tower server with 4 disks and 8GB RAM and single
quad core xeon.

If someone want to sell a lot of hardware then he/she will not like
FreeBSD!