Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2008 18:25:31 -0500
From:      "Bob Johnson" <fbsdlists@gmail.com>
To:        stacey@vickiandstacey.com,  "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: panic: No BIOS smap info from loader: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=111955

On 3/7/08, Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com> wrote:
> Hi Bob,
> Thanks for the response..,
>
> On Fri, 07 Mar 2008, Bob Johnson wrote:
>
> > On 3/7/08, Stacey Roberts <stacey@vickiandstacey.com> wrote:
[...]
> > Yep. The HP BIOS is a bit bogus. It won't reveal memory information to
> > the AMD64 boot code.
>
> On the off-chance that there might be a vendor issue, I *DID* request our IT
> Dept to flash the BIOS on the workstation to see if a later revision might
> help
> in the meantime - can't hurt, will see next week when I can take another
> crack
> at this..,

I did that a few weeks ago and it didn't help. I don't think HP plans
to fix this. When the Linux community originally complained about this
problem about a year ago, pointing out that HP claims to support
Linux, HP told them to take a hike because the dc7700 is not on their
list of systems that they support Linux on. So at that time, HP had no
interest in making anything but Windows run on it. I don't know if HP
has softened their stance on that issue at all.

[...]
> Will give it a bit of time to see what develops - there *are* "other
> options"
> available to us, but it'd be great to maintain FreeBSD presence where
> possible.

If you are planning to use them as workstations, you might be happier
with i386. There are still some apps that don't work under amd64. If
you are looking at servers, I haven't done any performance tests on
this thing so I can't tell you how suitable it would be (although if
there is some specific and reasonably easy test you'd like me to run I
wouldn't mind doing that).

> Thanks for the information and advice!
>
> Regards,
>
> S Roberts