Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:55:20 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        greg <greg@jules.res.cmu.edu>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: debugging a proc's kernel stack...

On Monday, 13 September 1999 at 20:00:02 +0000, greg wrote:
> Hi, I want to see where some a deadlock is occurring in the kernel.  I've got
> a dump with a bunch of processes in the inode or namecache state.
>
> Can anybody give me a hint about how to find a proc's "kernel stack" - so that
> I can find out what these kernel was doing for these processes when it locked
> up...
>
> (see "repeated deadlocks in FS ..." on the smp list for more info about the problem)...

Take a look at the .gdbinits in /usr/src/sys/modules/vinum.  There's a
little bit of documentation in vinum(4), but not really enough.  The
functions you might want are (extracted from gdb's "help user"):

btp -- Show a backtrace for the process whose pid is specified as a parameter
btpa -- Show backtraces for all processes in the system
btpp -- Show a backtrace for the process previously selected with 'defproc'
btr -- Show a backtrace from the ebp address specified
defproc -- Specify a process for btpp and fr commands
fr -- Show the frame of the stack of the process previously selected with 'defproc'

Greg