Date:      Fri, 14 May 2004 08:41:19 -0400
From:      Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
To:        Bruce Hunter <bhunter@solisix.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Transfering Files

On May 13, 2004, at 10:11 PM, Bruce Hunter wrote:

> I have two computer systems. 1 windows 2k system where I do web
> development work, specifically php development. The other system is a
> FBSD headless system that I control via ssh, from my windows system.
> The FBSD system is my local webserver where I do my testing before
> transfering to another server.
>
> My question is this. What is the best way to get my files from my
> windows system over to the FBSD webserver. FTP? Samba? or someting
> else?
> Also, I  want to make this webserver a file server wher I can save my
> downloads and mp3's. Not sure what which direction to go with these
> two tasks?

Probably the easiest thing to do is to use SAMBA to create a sharepoint
and then put "common files to move" into that.

I don't use my Linux system as a file server so I don't have samba
shares, but to open a "share point" to get some files to a Win9x system
I have on the network I have the Windows system sharing a folder marked
"public" then I can mount it and transfer things from the command line.
  If you want to make the FBSD system a file server, I'd put the share
on that and then move things around as your needs dictate.

It entirely depends on your end goals (FBSD needs the files *from* a
Win system *and* will be acting as primary file storage for files you
want to access from the Win system)...if it were just to occasionally
transfer a file, I'd mount a share set up on the Windows system...

-Bart