Date:      Thu, 06 Jun 1996 13:25:16 +1000
From:      Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        dyson@freebsd.org
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Latest VM fixes are holding up

yet another report - I've finally made the new stuff the default kernel.
Previously I would switch over, go "Eeek!" as the system crashed or did
strange things, and then restore my default kernel. I've now compiled all the
new binaries & installed them (there were a few kernel structure changes
between my stable kernel & the new one) and it all seems to be going quite
well. There is a perceptible performance improvement - one seems to get a
sharp burst of disk activity as each new program starts, rather than a
semi-constant trickle. It's quite noticable on my rc.local, where each startup
is separated by a one or two second sleep.

Oh, and by the way, Quake seems to page less as well.....

	Stephen
--
The views expressed above are not those of the Worker's Compensation Board of
Queensland, Australia.