Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 1998 11:57:41 -0500
From:      "Michael Krügier" <mikee@tht.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Bugs in boot floppy

Makers of the FreeBSD boot floppy-- this is for you!

There seems to be an error in the boot disk - when using the ppp dialup
the ppp program gives an error when starting saying that it cannot
create /var/run/tun0.pid
ignoring this error and dialing to my isp i connected only to find that
it could not lookup your ftp server. Problems I like to solve so I
downloaded the /bin directory from the distribution and installed it
from msdos... BAD MOVE the install errored out on the 16th floppy
because of checksum errors. I decided to use what it had installed and i
ran the emergency holographic shell. After about 3 minuits of "ls-ing" i
descovedrd that the directory /var/run/ dosent exist and thats why the
ppp program could not create the tunnell pipe /var/run/tun0.pid using
the programs installed from the bin distribution i mkdir-ed a directory
called /var/run .... and IT WORKED!!!! Please fix this problem.. a lot
of people are tring to install freebsd and if there not *nix gurus they
will just give up.

Tired after 5 hours of work

Mike Krygier