Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2000 20:00:15 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@iMach.com>
To:        Coleman Kane <cokane@one.net>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, William Woods <freebsd@cybcon.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: DSL natd rules....

> In my experiences and knowledge, the phone company's network does a lot of the
> NAT and everything. Somewhere along the line your final output IP is bridged
> with the ISP's IP to give to you. The NAT and routing is typically internal in
> the phone company.

Just to put my $0.02 in here.

From experience with USWest DSL from both the customer and ISP end, I can
guarantee that the phone company does very little to the ATM cells which
go between the 675 and our equipment (ATM interface on a Cisco router).

If we set the connection up PPP the client has to set it up PPP, if we set
it up bridging, so does the client.   We can (and do) at times push out a
whole subnet bridged to the client end.

I have yet to see anything which indicates that the telco does anything to
the packets except take them in on the DSLAM and push them out our ATM
port.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) KD7EHZ