Date:      Tue, 03 Jul 2007 15:17:22 -0700
From:      Richard Loken <richardlo@admin.athabascau.ca>
To:        Thomas Laus <lausts@acm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AlphaServer 4100 LCD

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007, Thomas Laus wrote:

> to perform an update and custom kernel build from source.  I was previously
> running FreeBSD 4.11 which went EOL recently.  A buildworld would take me
> about 30 hours with the debug symbols.

Maybe there is a place for a FreeBSD Alpha luddites group who could help
each other out.  I, for instance, am running FreeBSD on a PC164 which has
the jam to make world in a reasonable amount of time so I could build a
kernel and send it your way as long as we negotiated the appropriate
config.  Come to that, I don't mind spending 30 hours at the task because
I don't have to sit around and watch.

OTOH, just as you said, there are NetBSD and OpenBSD and they are a lot
more attractive to me than Linux.

--
   Richard Loken VE6BSV, Systems Programmer - VMS  : "Anybody can be a father
   Athabasca University                            :  but you have to earn