Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 22:54:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
To:        User & Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: [freebsd-questions] shutdown group

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, User & Ian Patrick Thomas wrote:

:
:As it was put forth by David Scheidt on Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 10:13:47PM -0500...
:>
:> I can't come up with a single good reason why a non-root user should be
:> allowed to use the halt(8) or reboot(8) commands.  I can't come up with many
:> for root using them, either.
:>
:	I'm the only one who uses my workstation and I am trying to get into
:the habit of logging into root as little as possible.  It is more convenient
:and more secure to use sudo to shutdown, then to log in as root and do the
:same thing, for me.:)
:
:Ian

Please don't top post.

There's no need to use sudo for this.  If you put the set of users who need
to use the shutdown command into the operator group, they can use
shutdown(8).  (There are some other priveledges gained from being in the
operator group, such as being able to read to read raw disk devices, which
is needed to run dump(8)).  I certainly understand why non-root users would
want to run shutdown(8);  halt and reboot have options which can cause
serious damage, so I don't see why a non-root user should be allowed to use
them.

--
dscheidt@tumbolia.com
Bipedalism is only a fad.