Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 2012 17:36:36 -0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   [wi] Trying to make it work for people; a day of tinkering..

Hi all,

I've been tinkering with these orinoco/lucent wi(4) NICs.

The one in particular is a Hermes firmware NIC, STA firmware 72801.

The summary is pretty simple:

* Setting sysctls hw.wi.debug=1 and hw.wi.txerate=1 makes for some
interesting debugging output;
* We _are_ receiving TX and RX interrupts from the NIC;
* TXing for me is failing, with "invalid format" errors;
* RX'ing for me fires off completion interrupts, but the rx function
doesn't find the node, so it simply tosses the frame;
* If I change the TX encapsulation from 802_11 to 802_3, TX is
actually successful - but RX stays unsuccessful.

r160991 is a likely culprit - it changed a whole lot of the TX
codepath to support raw frame TX, but there's no evidence at all that
it ever worked in STA/IBSS modes.

I also am not sure whether the "ibss mode" value in wi_start_locked()
should be "3". It looks like openbsd sets that to 0 unless you're in
IBSS mode.

Also: "ifconfig wlan0 list sta" always shows no node, so it's quite
likely net80211 thinks there's no actual association going on. is this
because mgmt frames aren't being received by the rx path and thus
net80211 doesn't "know" about the new association?

Also: scan logs that it's changing channels but I don't (yet) see
beacon frames being received - and the scan cache is never populated.
That's another thing to try and figure out.

It'd be nice if someone were able to import the openbsd if_wi driver
(mostly) verbatim. I'm not sure I want to spend hours trying to figure
out which particular configuration bit is required to restore
functionality here.

Thanks to Justin Hibbits for sitting down with me and briefly
brainstorming this stuff!

Adrian