Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 1996 09:05:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Hanai Hiroyuki <hanai@astec.co.jp>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New conversion scheme in place.

On Mon, 9 Sep 1996, Hanai Hiroyuki wrote:

[missed this one...]

> Next TODO is to discard linuxdoc and to adopt docbook?

Ya.  I have to go over my docbook->html translation, work out a
couple things, then bring it and the DTD in.  The docbook->html
is almost at the point where it is genuinely useful; I have not
begun docbook->troff and after the linuxdoc->troff, I'm not
looking forward to it.

The major issue left to be worked out with the HTML translation
is splitting the document into multiple hypertext pages.  With
linuxdoc, the splitting is done by sgmlfmt as a post-processing
operation.  Instant will still require something to split the
single output stream into multiple files, but I think I can do
much more intelligent splitting in instant, simplifying sgmlfmt a
great deal.

The current simpleminded splitting mechanism results in some very
large nodes, and a bazillion annoyingly small nodes; you spend a
lot of time navigating menus before getting at the content.  I
hope to fix this for docbook.

The other part of the equation is making a tranlation spec for
instant to map linuxdoc elements to docbook elements.  This
should be pretty trivial to do.

-john

== http://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/~jfieber ================